Aug 6, 2011

In Another Day 7: Pearls of Wisdom

Welcome to the second day of Raquel's and my challenge, In Another Day!
Click here to read the rules and regulations.

For this week, I'm going to be writing about a 13-year-old girl in 1937. If you didn't know this about the challenge, you can write from third-person if you want to- Or second. Or first! :)
 
Click here to read the beginning of Judy's story!
Click here to read Part 2 of Judy's story!
Click here to read Part 3 of Judy's story
Click here to read Part 4 of Judy's story!
Click here to read Part 5 of Judy's story!
Click here to read Part 6 of Judy's story!
 
The family Bible rested on the nightstand. Judy sat straight up, eyes wide.
Because suddenly, for some reason, she had thought "First Timothy Nine Ten".
Judy raced to the Bible and flipped open to 1st Timothy. Wait- there was no Chapter 9 in 1st Timothy! It only had six. Maybe verses 9 and 10... Judy quickly scanned chapter one. Nothing in particular of verses nine and ten stood out to her. Chapter two verses 9 and 10 read: "I also want women to dress modestly, with decency and porpreity, not with braided hair or gold or pearls or expensive clothes, but with good deeds, appropriate for women who profess to worship God." Judy read the other verses in 1st Timothy and found nothing. Finally she closed the Bible, convinced it was a dead end. Slowly she dragged herself into the attic, trying to think of what it might mean. As she reached the hope chest she glanced over at Aunt Rosalia's family bible.
She opened to 1st Timothy, hoping beyond hope that this would lead her to something.
The pages rustled as Judy's trembling hands came upon 1st Timothy.
Chapter 2, verses 9 and 10 were underlined. Wedged in the crack between pages lay a gold chain. A bookmark, maybe?
Judy pulled it out. At the end of the gold chain was a perfect pearl, without defect. tied to the chain was a note.
"Dear Judy,
Please keep this necklace. Congratulations, you solved the quest. Did I stump you with my riddle? Perhaps it was too easy- or perhaps too hard. Well, I'd like you to know something. Now that you have that necklace, you have to know something. I wore that on my wedding day- perhaps you'll do the same.
There was a matching bracelet. The secret to that lies within my armoire.
But, I can't tell you any more. Ready for another quest?
All my love,
Aunt Rosalia Wheeler Carter"
 
The End!
 
I hope you've enjoyed this challenge- I certainly have!
 
The prizes will be handed out soon- there may end up being just one prize- I'm so sorry for all the confusion!
 
I'm sorry I didn't post yesterday- but I have a really good reason- our friend just had her seventh baby yesterday morning... so that is my good excuse! :)
 
See you all later- hopefully I can post the prizes before too long!
 
Mary

No comments: